May 15

A figure – by Arthur

Mikey and I were tucked away in our usual hiding place playing conkers; the sun was setting casting a frenzy of colours. Dew started to settle on the parched grass.

Focused on our game, we did not realise the time ticking by, and the ceasing light. A snap from the other side of the wall, made my heart miss a beat. Mikey leapt up and peered through the spy-hole.

“Th… There’s a figure out there,” he whimpered, “Under a cloak.” I took a look for myself and there it was; standing on the pavement. It seemed to be staring down the road, but natural instinct told me it could sense even the slightest twitch.

“Mikey, we need to get away. I’ll lob a stone over there and you run to the cover of that tree, then you chuck one and I’ll come.”

Instead, I threw my conker on to the road and it splintered. The figure spun to look at the pieces; then at me. I stood dead still, pale with fright. Mikey froze too, until I waved my hand for him to go. He sprinted behind a sinister looking oak.

Not bearing to wait any longer, I fled after him, and we disappeared into the night.

Posted May 15, 2020 by arthur19 in category Uncategorized

1 thoughts on “A figure – by Arthur

1. mrsmurrin

Lovely tense piece Arthur. ‘casting a frenzy of colours’ – great image of that magical light you get at that time of day.
    Would some punctuation be helpful between setting and casting?

Reply